Here Are Some Commonly Asked Questions From Your Harrisonburg Deck Company.
We’re a Harrisonburg deck company with decades of experience in the Shenandoah Valley. After working in the industry for so long, we’ve heard all types of questions. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions and their answers:
- Do I Need A Permit To Build A Deck? Yes. The City of Harrisonburg requires a permit for any structure that improves or upgrades your property, even if you are just replacing your deck. Your contractor should be able to submit the application, or you can do it yourself online!
- Does My Contractor Have To Be Licensed? Yes, any contractor doing work in Harrisonburg, VA, needs a contractor license – even if he’s just replacing a deck.
- Where Can I Place My Grill On My New Deck? Grills can get extremely hot, which is why it’s important to ensure there is some distance between your grill and railings and other houses. We also recommend you place a mat underneath your grill to protect the wood or composite material from staining.
- Does Composite Decking Fade? Some composite decking materials can fade, but others do not. We partner with Wolf for composite decking that comes with a 25-year warranty against staining and fading.
- How Big Should I Build My Deck? Most deck companies would agree that a deck shouldn’t be more than 50% larger than your main floor. Any bigger and it will look out of place.
- Which Material Is Best? That question depends on your budget and aesthetic needs. Pressure-treated lumber that is properly maintained can last up to 30 years, while a composite deck can last up to 60 years with minimal maintenance.
Visit Our Showroom To See Your Options In Person!
We invite you to visit our showroom in Mt. Crawford, VA, to see, touch and feel the options available. After decades of business in the Valley, you can count on us as your experienced Harrisonburg decking company.