Useful Tips & Important Facts About Adding A Privacy Fence in Charlottesville.
We’re all spending more time at home these days, so adding a privacy fence to your Charlottesville home can make good sense. Doing it right will make the difference between loving your new fence or hating it. Here are some tips and facts to ensure you love your new fence.
- Code, Zoning & Permits: Make sure you check the specific code, zoning and permit requirements of your Charlottesville or Albemarle property. You don’t need a permit to build a fence in Albemarle County unless it’s around a pool, but certain HOAs may require you to ask permission and submit drawings before construction.
- Talk To Neighbors & Know Your Boundaries: It’s a good idea to speak with your neighbors and research your property’s boundaries before you build a fence. Give them a heads-up, explain the fence placement, and be prepared to answer questions if they have any.
- Know What You’re Getting: Privacy fences are typically taller than traditional fences. That height protects you from prying eyes, but it can also create a boxed-in feeling. Sometimes that can feel cozy, but it is an aspect to consider when building your fence. If you’ve got a great view that you don’t want to lose, you can leave some areas open or make them shorter to keep that mountain view.
- Get Your Utilities Marked: Before you or your contractor starts digging, make sure you determine the location of underground utilities. Call Virginia811 or Miss Utility to schedule a visit to mark underground utilities so you can plan your project and dig appropriately.
Dutch Way Is Charlottesville’s Reputable Fencing Company.
Dutch Way Fencing has served customers in the Shenandoah Valley and Central VA for decades. Our experienced team walks you through your options and provides dependable, qualified recommendations. Ready to learn more about building a Charlottesville privacy fence? Contact us today!
We’ve Got The Info You Need For Your Albemarle County DIY Fencing Project.
Are you planning a DIY fencing project at your Albemarle County home? There are so many elements to consider when planning your project. Check out these helpful tips from your local fencing experts at Dutch Way:
Permits & Property Lines: Even the handiest homeowner may not realize the legal requirements for adding a fence to their property. In Albemarle County, you do not need a permit to build a fence unless that fence will be used for “safety or as a barrier around a swimming pool.” You also need to confirm all property lines to ensure you install the fence on your property and not that of your neighbor.
Zoning & Homeowners Associations: Check with your homeowner’s association to determine if there are any rules and regulations related to fencing in your neighborhood. Also, keep in mind that some zoning requirements will not allow solid fences at corners where traffic visibility could be affected.
Research Your Options: There are so many different fence types, and some are easier to install and maintain than others. Vinyl fencing is quick to install because pieces just snap together, and it’s super easy to maintain. Aluminum fencing takes a little more time to install, but it’s also reasonably easy to maintain. Wiping both vinyl and aluminum fences every year minimizes buildup over time.
Get Started With Help From Dutch Way.
Dutch Way Fencing is Albemarle County and Charlottesville’s leading supplier for vinyl and aluminum fencing. We work with homeowners and contractors to provide top-notch products for their next project. Not sure if you want to install your fence? No problem. We offer comprehensive installation and can also refer you to reputable contractors in your area. Get started with a free estimate on your DIY fencing project!
Get In Touch.
Your Guide To Aluminum Fences In The Shenandoah Valley.
Aluminum fences provide many benefits to Shenandoah Valley homeowners. Multiple features and long-lasting durability mean that aluminum should be at the top of your list if you’re thinking about adding or replacing your fence. Check out this quick guide with several of our favorite features and stop by and visit our showroom to see them in person.
Our Comprehensive Guide:
- Economical: Aluminum fencing is an affordable option for your property. Many options eliminate the middle rail for an attractive and economical fence for your home.
- Timeless: Traditional aluminum fencing looks similar to wrought iron fences without requiring time-consuming maintenance each year.
- Durable: A thorough powder coating protects your aluminum fence from the sun, rain, heat and humidity so you can depend on your fence to last!
- Customizable: We can customize your fence to meet your specific needs because our brand comes in multiple lengths, finishes, and colors. They also come with several different gate options. Choose polished black or textured bronze to complement your home.
- Green: Aluminum can be recycled so if you ever choose to replace your fencing, you can feel good about your environmental footprint.
- Multiple Styles: Each year, more styles come out to give homeowners options. Add ball caps to the posts, pickets, arches or quad tops to make your fence stand out!
- Perfect For Pools: Aluminum fencing is an ideal choice to surround your inground pool. Key- Link’s line of aluminum fencing can meet most pool code requirements!
Ready To See Your Options In-Person?
Dutch Way Fencing is conveniently located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Out of our expansive showroom in Mt. Crawford, we display many of the vinyl and aluminum options that can define and distinguish your property. Stop by and see them in person and speak with one of our experienced sales professionals to get started looking at aluminum fences for your Shenandoah Valley home. Contact our team to schedule an appointment!
Your Harrisonburg Fence Can Provide Many Features.
There are multiple fence options to consider for your Harrisonburg property. Depending on your needs, location and style, your fence can serve many purposes. Here are some options to consider:
- Privacy Fence: Densely packed homes feel more private and secure with a tall vinyl privacy fence to shield you from your neighbors. These are especially nice for homes with pools. We’ll help you determine the appropriate height.
- Semi-Privacy Fence: For those who don’t want to completely block out the neighbors, these options provide some privacy. Lattice or spoke-style accents add visual interest to a fairly traditional vinyl option.
- Picket Fence: These charming vinyl fences help keep kiddos and pets in your yard without seriously obstructing your view. Consider a puppy picket to keep small dogs contained.
- Aluminum Fencing: If you love the look of wrought iron, our aluminum fencing options will fit the bill with less maintenance and at a lower cost. Surround your property, pool, or even add railing to your deck with these high-end options.
- Ranch Style Fencing: You’ve seen this style around rural and/or wooded homes. Some Harrisonburg homes are tucked into the woods and these 2 or 3-rail options look historical and appropriate.
- Ranch Style With Cross Buck: These vinyl options start with a 2, 3, or 4-rail set-up. We then add a cross detail between the rails to add visual interest.
See Your Options In Person!
Our showroom is the perfect place to check out the materials, styles and details that distinguish your fencing. You can see the colors, finishes, and post caps that add functional style to your home. Plus, our experienced team will walk you through your options and provide detailed information you may not have considered. Ready to learn more about your Harrisonburg fence options? Stop by our Mt. Crawford location to get more information.
Visit Dutch Way To Learn More!
Advice & Expertise From Your Charlottesville Fence Company.
Are you tackling spring projects and thinking about building a fence? We get it. As a Charlottesville fence company with a long history selling and installing vinyl and aluminum products in VA, we’ve got some tips to help you do it right the first time:
- Research & Plan: By reading this blog, you’re well on your way to building your own fence. We also recommend you look into city or county ordinances and your homeowner’s association to determine if you need a permit to build your fence or if there are any material or color restrictions. Getting this information early in the process gives you time to submit paperwork for permits and order the right materials. Now is also a good time to contact Miss Utility or any gas suppliers who might have tanks or cables buried underground. They’ll typically mark those locations for free so you know where not to dig.
- Rent Equipment: It may sound like a great workout to dig each fence post by hand, but it gets old quickly. It can also make your project take significantly longer. We recommend renting some equipment to expedite the process. You can rent from the local hardware store and the time savings makes it worth the investment.
- Use A Level: This may sound like common sense, but it isn’t for some people. As a fence company with years of experience replacing old fences, we’ve seen many that are not level. It may not look obvious at the beginning, but once each panel is installed, it’s much more visible.
Serving DIYers, Contractors and Homeowners.
We enjoy serving diverse customers; like DIYers, contractors working with customers, and homeowners looking to hire us to build their fence. We believe that there is plenty of work for all of us and enjoy the variation these different customers provide. Ready to learn more from your local Charlottesville fence company? Give us a call or visit us in Mt. Crawford.
Get In Touch!
The Winchester Ornamental Aluminum Fences Guide To Defining Your Property.
We’re your source for Winchester ornamental aluminum fences to complement your home and budget. For more than thirty years, we’ve helped residential homeowners and commercial businesses find vinyl and aluminum fencing solutions that work. Whether you’re looking to add a decorative wrought iron look to your property or a utilitarian aluminum fence, our experienced team is your source for professional guidance from concept to installation. Here’s our ornamental aluminum fencing guide for interested homeowners:
- The History: Decorative wrought iron fences defined the perimeter of historical homes during the Victorian era. In 1873, the White House had a wrought iron fence installed along the front of the property, cementing its popularity through the 19th century and into the 20th. Unfortunately, handmade wrought iron fencing is expensive and difficult to maintain. Ornamental aluminum fences are less expensive, more consistent, and easier to maintain, making them a smart replacement for wrought iron fencing.
- The Benefits: There are so many reasons to choose an aluminum ornamental fence. Installers can adjust aluminum fencing to accommodate your property. From steep slopes to gentle valleys, we can easily retrofit an aluminum fence to fit your landscape. Aluminum is also cheaper to manufacture and less corrosive than wrought iron, making it a less expensive option that is more durable. With endless color and finish options, you can find one that complements your home and property.
Dutch Way Is Your Source For Key-Link Ornamental Aluminum Fences.
We proudly carry American-made Key-Link aluminum fencing out of our showroom and warehouse in Mt. Crawford, Virginia. Their affordable and dependable products provide a long-lasting investment in your property. Whether you hire us to install your fence, a local contractor, or do it yourself, we’re able to help you choose the right design and color for your home. Visit our showroom to talk to an experienced team member and get started transforming the look and feel of your property. We’re your first choice when looking for Winchester ornamental aluminum fences. Get started today!
Schedule An Appointment.
Googling “Fence Companies Near Me?” Why Are There So Many Options?
Have you been googling “fence companies near me” and seeing dozens of options within a 50-mile radius of Harrisonburg? The internet has allowed small and big businesses to promote themselves online, but sometimes it can feel overwhelming as a consumer. In Harrisonburg and Charlottesville, there are hundreds of suppliers, independent contractors, and good ole boys installing fences, and most of them are visible online. While we value that exposure, there’s still nothing quite like talking to somebody about their project and helping them wrap their head around the products and services we offer at Dutch Way. That’s why we created this guide to help homeowners choose the right fence company for them.
Our Quick Guide To Narrowing Down Your Options.
Hiring a contractor or supplier for any job is easier when you know the questions to ask. We recommend you start with this list:
- Are You Insured? If you’re hiring somebody to build your fence, confirm that they’re insured. Otherwise, you might as well have just done it yourself. Their insurance should protect you if they screw up or if something unexpected happens. It also shows that they’re serious about their business and clients’ investment.
- Who Pulls The Permit? If a permit is required, confirm that they’ll take care of submitting the drawings and paperwork to get approval from the city or county. There’s no point in hiring somebody else to do the work and then finding out you have to handle the legalities.
- What Product Would You Use? This question is interesting because, if answered honestly, it can help you make an informed decision. Most installers and dealers have a brand, style, or material that they prefer over others. Ask the people who work with these materials daily which product they would choose for themselves. You won’t be sorry.
Stop By Our Showroom To See Your Options.
We invite you to come by our showroom to see the products, colors, and finishes available for your new fence. Our experienced team will walk you through the process, so you feel good about your investment. Now, do you feel more comfortable googling “fence companies near me?”
Schedule An Appointment.
Choosing A Harrisonburg Fence Company Is Easy When You Know What To Ask.
People usually think that choosing a fence company is easy. They think that one trip to a big-box store will provide all the information and options they need to start their project. For a select few, that may be the case. For most people, though, choosing the right material and installation takes time. We recommend you work with a business, like Dutch Way, that focuses primarily on fencing products and ask them these three questions to get started:
- What Products Do You Recommend? There is a significant difference between this question and the question, “what products do you offer?” Established businesses with experience in their industry know the products that work and those that don’t. Whether you’re looking at vinyl or aluminum options, there are so many manufacturers from which to choose. A reputable and experienced fence company will help you navigate your options to make an informed decision.
- What Does Your Quotation Include? Most experienced contractors provide written quotations that clearly list the services included in the job scope. When there is confusion, follow-up with the fence company. For example, ask these questions when the information is not detailed in the written quotation:
- Does this quotation include the removal of an existing fence?
- Will you apply for the permit, or do I need to?
- Who needs to contact Miss Utility to identify areas with underground cables?
- What Is Your Warranty? Warranties fall into two categories: manufacturers’ warranties and labor warranties. The fabricator of the product backs a manufacturer’s warranty. For example, Key-Link Fencing makes some of our aluminum products. They offer a lifetime warranty on their product and a 5-year prorated warranty on labor to replace the fence. Many contractors provide a 1-year labor warranty on their installation. Clarify these details before you hire your fence company.
Contact Dutch Way To Learn More About Harrisonburg Fencing.
After decades of experience in the Shenandoah Valley, we have the skills and products you need to add beauty, privacy and security to your property. Contact our Harrisonburg fence company to get started.
Get A Free Estimate!
Harrisonburg DIY Homeowners Choose Dutch Way For Fencing Materials.
Choosing fencing materials can be a fun and exciting way to complement the architecture and style of your home. From vinyl fencing to aluminum, the materials available come with different looks and diverse price points. For do-it-yourselfers, make the smart choice and consider your options for ease of installation and care.
Tell Me About My Options.
Educating yourself is the best way to make an informed choice. Here are the primary options we think are worth considering:
Vinyl: Vinyl is a fantastic option to consider. It’s durable, easy to clean, and low maintenance. It will meet the contours of your landscaping and custom sections are available.
Aluminum: Aluminum fencing can look super high-end and elevate your home’s exterior. Plus, its available in multiple colors. Most styles available in 6’ or 8’ sections.
Both vinyl and aluminum fencing look great and provide a durable option for homeowners in Virginia. Unlike wood, you don’t have to worry about either option rotting or being eaten by bugs.
Dutch Way Supplies Building Materials For Fencing In Virginia.
When you’re researching materials, visit the area’s leading experts at Dutch Way Fencing to learn more about the options that work best for your property. Our spacious showroom gives you the opportunity to touch and feel the options worth considering. Experienced consultants walk you through your options, detailing the advantages and disadvantages of each material. Contact a member of our team to learn more!
Are You Ready For Fencing Materials?
Our customers love
our work. Here’s why.
Dutch Way came this morning to begin the process of our vinyl fence. They have been extremely polite and easy to work with, knowledgable, patient and professional as we changed our minds a few times about what we wanted. Our fence posts are just starting to be put in, but I would already highly recommend them! Can’t wait to see the finished product.
Only place to go if you are looking for a quality fence at a reasonable price. The staff are professional and care about doing a quality job and making the customer happy. Thanks for everything Dutch Way! I wouldn’t use anyone else!
Dale and the team at Dutch Way are consistent with exceptional customer service. I always appreciate the personal attention and recommend Dutch Way to anyone in need of their services.
Get the inside scoop about the newest trends, products and techniques in the fencing, railing and decking world.